It’s opening day for trapping most furbearers in Nebraska. We at the Nebraska Fur Harvesters Association wish you a season filled with success, pride, enjoyment and education. We also hope you end up making a little money on top of it, although with prices the way they are, do not set your expectations out of reach.
We would like to to keep the following things in mind this season as you set out to trap:
- You are setting an example for all trappers, everywhere. Be the trapper you would want kids to learn from.
- Take someone with you who has never trapped before. Show them a few sets, harvest a few animals and show them how it’s done.
- Be humane.
- Be respectful of landowner’s property and do not trespass. Ask permission on private ground.
- If trapping on public ground, please be aware of the fact that other people (and their dogs) will be using the property as well, and place your sets accordingly.
- Work hard.
- Don’t be afraid to release animals that look too small or do not look primed up. There is no shame in releasing a sub-par animal.
- Help another trapper/outdoorsman if he needs it.
- Share advice with a beginner. We were all there at one time.
- Take time to learn something new.
- Stop and take in all that the outdoors has to offer.
- Obey all your state laws.
Thank you and have a good season!
-The Nebraska Fur Harvesters